Szczawnica is situated in the picturesque valley of the Grajcarek, which is one of the tributaries of the River Dunajec. The valley separates the Male Pieniny Ridge from the Beskid Sadecki Mountain Range. The resort itself lies at 500 meters above the see level.
The unique situation of the valley is the source of its mild microclimate created by forested hills, plentiful sunshine, little precipitation, and the fresh and unpolluted air.
What is more, Szczawnica is set in the picturesque landscape of the Pieniny National Park and the Dunajec Gorge. To the north, there is the Radziejowa Massif (984 m) and to the south, the Male Pieniny Range with the peaks of Rabsztyn (847 m) and Wysoka (1052 m). The valley opens towards the Pieniny Range with the famous peaks of Sokolica [the Falcon Mountain] (747 m) and Trzy Korony [the Three Crowns] (982m).
All this makes Szczawnica one of the most attractive mountain resorts in Poland.
1) Skiing arena Jaworki - Homole:
- Open chair cable car "Homole", for 2 people, 610 m long, the difference of altitude 116 m
- Disk ski lift "Storczyk", 200 m long, the difference of altitude 35 m
- Disk ski lift "Tubing", 150 m long, the difference of altitude 20 m
More information at www.arenanarciarska.pl
2) The Pod Durbaszka ski lift in the village of Jaworki - a 550-m long T-bar lift (with a 112-m elevation difference) next to a mountain hostel with a cafeteria.
3) A 783-m long chairlift on Mount Palenica (with a 260-m elevation difference).
- the Palenica ski run with snow-making facilities (1000 meters in length with an elevation difference of 250 meters) - FIS and PZN-approved.
- the Palenica II ski run (1800 meters in length with an elevation difference of 270 meters) - it runs from the top of Mount Szafranowka down to the foot of Mount Palenica where it joins the Palenica run.
The Szafranowka slope - two 350-m long parallel T-bar lifts (elevation difference of 75 meters) on an easy run with snow-making facilities.
4) Halfpipe for snowboarders with its own ski lift on Mount Palenica.
1) Tennis court in Park Gorny Street;
2) Tennis court at 75b Szlachtowska Street (in Pod Jarmuta Recreation Center);
3) Tennis court in Glowna Street (near the PKS bus terminal);
4) Kayak rental shop on the River Dunajec;
5) Walking path in the larch wood in Park Gorny Street - 1 kilometer in length;
6) Skatepark - a playground for children with facilities for skateboarding and roller-skating at the bottom station of the Palenica chairlift;
7) Indoor swimming pool (8 x 18 meters) in Budowlani sanitarium;
8) Basketball court in Park Gorny Street;
9) Football (soccer) pitch (50 x 92 meters) at 75b Szlachtowska Street (in Pod Jarmuta Recreation Center);
10) Beach volleyball court in Glowna Street (near the PKS bus terminal);
11) 6 marked mountain trails for hikers
12) 5 marked cycling routes
13) 11 marked horse riding trails
Major hiking trails:
- Palenica - 50 min.
- Jarmuta - 1 h. 30 min.
- Wąwóz Homole - 1 h. 50 min. (z dojazdem)
- Bryjarka - 1 h.
- Bereśnik - 1 h. 15 min.
- Dzwonkówka - 2 h. 30 min.
- Prehyba - 4 h.
- Červeny Klaątor (the Slovak village of "Red Monastery") - 2 h. 30 min.
- Mount Sokolica (The Falcon Mountain) - Mount Trzy Korony (Three Crowns) - the Szopczanski ravine - 5 hours
- Rafting on the River Dunajec (from May 1 to October 31)
- 6 cycling routes (total length: approximately 100 kilometers)
300 m away from the house is a creek with waterfalls and a barbecue facility. Just about 400 m away is the Czarda inn and area for walking and biking trips. Within about 900 m there is a water park - residents of the cottages are admitted at discounted prices.
The Traditional Raft Ride - www.flisacy.com.pl The ride down the Dunajec river on a traditional raft that offers an unusual opportunity to see wild nature, unchanged for thousands of years, is one of Europe's biggest tourist attractions. It is also the best way to explore the Pieniny National Park. The raft ride tradition dates back to mid 19th century. The Dunajec river has cut in the limestone hills of the Pieniny mountains a romantic valley called the Dunajec River Gorge. We raft down a deep and winding canyon on wooden rafts- constructions built from narrow boats held together with ropes.
The Dunajec winds and froths among steep slopes. The views around us are spectacular and change very quickly. During the trip, the local oarsmen vividly present information about the Pieniny mountains and tell local tales e.g. the legend of Janosik. The season starts in May and finishes in October. The rafts set out from the Sromowce-Kąty marina. It takes from 2 to 3 hours, depending on the water level, to go over the seven loops. One raft takes 12 adults (plus two oarsmen). The destination marina is located in Szczawnica Niżna.
Canoeing down the Dunajec - Pontoon rides cover the route from Sromowce Wyżne to Szczawnica. They are offered to both advanced rafters and beginners. Children can also participate in the pontoon rides. The coolness of the water, mountain air, the beauty of the Pieniny landscape will make you forget about the stress of everyday life.